Monday 30 January 2012

Saying Cya Later to my New Love

Oh what a bitter sweet week it has been saying good bye to the place and people that I have fallen so deeply in love with, while getting excited for the next leg of my journey.

I started the week after returning from my trip from Kisumu, which wsa amazing.  I got the chance to meet such amazing and inspirational people, and do some sight seeing as well!  I took some time to tour the Kakamega rain forest which is home to too many species of trees, plants and birds to count. Along with monkeys too! It was nice to be able to hike through such a beautiful and fresh place.  The highlight was my hike up to the highest point of the forest in the dark at 5am to see the sunrise. Amazing, beautiful African sky.  Then went into a cave 50m long.  My guide told me there were bats, and then all of the sudden I could feel them zooming by.  I kind of screamed a little, trying to duck and dodge the bats.  My guide laughed at me, asking why I was scared, and telling me the bats won`t touch me, don`t  worry.  Easy for him to say.

After getting back `home` to nairobi I basically was hanging out, trying to see as many people as I could to say good bye.  Spent a few late nights out enjoying Tuskers as well.  One of the days I headed out to the IDP Camp to interview some secondary students to see if we can try to get them sponsors from back home so they can continue their education.  While there I got some terrible news... almost half of the chickens we had bought for the second batch of families had all come down with some disease, likely somehting they had before and died... UH! But what can we do, I was leaving in two days and there was no way we would be able to buy new ones in time.  I feel terrible that now some families have to go without, but hopefully we can help in the future.  This is maybe alearning experience, so next time we can be more careful and ensure we inspect all chickens so one doesn`t get the rest sick.  I bought the group medicine to ensure the rest of the chickens dont fall ill and die also.

My last night in Kenya I wanted to be a traditional Kenyan evening.  We organized a night and got a bunch of the local staff and volunteers to go out for some good ole fashinon Nyama Choma complete with all the fixings. SO GOOD! We ate a million kgs of goat, beef and the most delicious chicken I have ever tasted.  Such a perfect way to spend my last night, but so sad as I had to say good bye to so many of the people there, especially the Fadhili staff who had been so amazing the entire time I was there. 

The next morning I left the house earlier than I needed to because I had a bunch oif errands to do before going (one including picking up my passport from the high commission of India, maybe important for the next 6 months). Saying good bye to my mamas was the worst.  It made it feel so much more final that I was actually leaving Kenya.  The moment I said goodbye to Milcah and gave her a hug I couldn`t hold it in anymore and sobbed like a little girl.  The both hugged me and told me not to cry, just like my real mama would do.  As sad as I am to be out of Kenya, I think maybe it was time.  I will miss it terribly, but I am excited for what the next chapter of my adventure holds :)


No comments:

Post a Comment